Sunday, 11 October 2015

The worst question someone can ask me

Hi!

There is a question that is asked a lot - by friends, colleagues, strangers - and you never know when it's coming. And that question terrifies me.


I can't answer it! I don't feel like I have any hobbies! Does that make me boring? Does everyone else have loads of hobbies? I have some things that I do in my spare time, but mostly they're not things I like telling people about.

For example, obviously this blog is a hobby of mine, but it's something that only one person in my real life knows about, because I don't really like talking about it. I think I portray a different side of me in this blog and I guess I'd just feel exposed if people read it. And if you're talking to older people, they just don't understand wanting to share your life and interests with strangers on the internet.

So I just used the word interests. That is also a word that scares me usually, but I guess it's true. I do blog about my interests - makeup and beauty stuff and um me? These aren't things I want to have a conversation about with a complete randomer though!

I love watching YouTube, and if I'm talking to someone my age I may mention this as it's fairly likely they'll understand, but when talking to someone above the age of 20, it's more probable that they'll just stare at me with a confused look on their face and write me off as a lunatic. Also, watching stuff on YouTube isn't really a "worthy" hobby. People want you to say you enjoy crafting or playing netball, not that you sit in front of your computer every day.

I'm hoping that planning and decorating my planner will become a hobby for me, as I love watching videos and reading posts from people in the planning community. I don't think I can ever make a planner as beautiful as some people's, as I'm just not that dedicated, but I like to decorate a bit to encourage me to use it.

But basically what I'm trying to say is that when someone asks me that question, fear grips my heart and soul. WHAT DO I DO IN MY SPARE TIME??? I wish that people didn't ask this, because it always makes me feel so awkward and useless. I don't do anything useful with my free time. I often end up saying spending time with friends, which is a complete cop out because who doesn't do that?

Thanks for reading! Does anyone else get freaked out by this question?
Penny xxx

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Personally I have a fair few hobbies but find YouTube/Blogging a hard one to share just as like you mentioned yourself it can be hard to put yourself out there to people you know as appose to people across the internet. Maybe you have a couple more hobbies than you think, something that you wouldn’t class as a hobby but others would. My hobbies include blogging, photography and fashion. Just stumbled across your blog, it’s lovely! Happy blogging! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! I know exactly what you mean about youtube/blogging. I'd be interested to know how you came across my blog!? :D xxx

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx